1. Drink Hydrating Fluids: Drink half your pounds body weight in ounces daily. If you weigh 200 pounds you must drink 100 ounces of filtered water. To increase you detox add lemon/lime or a teaspoon of apple cider vinegar to your water.
2. Anti-Inflammatory Diet: Keep grains, sugars, bad fats and non-organic/commercial meat out of your diet. Focus on non-starchy vegetables, low-glycemic fruits (lemons/limes, grapefruit, berries, granny smith apples), organic meats, good fats (coconut, grass-fed butter/ghee, olives, olive oil and avocados). Use herbs in abundance and fermented foods like sauerkraut or fermented vegetables daily.
3. Practice Intermittent Fasting: Doing a liquid fast for 16-24 hrs daily or even just a few days each week can be an incredible practice to improve detoxification pathways. I often do a 16-18 hour fasts daily where I eat my meals between a 6-8 hour eating window (12-7pm for example).
Outside of meal times I drink plenty of water, greens powders or green juices sometimes and herbal teas. Sometimes having less to digest really can enhance your energy levels and free up a great amount of time.
4. Regular Exercise: Moving your body improves your circulation, respiration and perspiration. It also helps mobilize body fat stores where many toxins reside and gets toxins out quicker. I recommend doing a lot of low-intensity movement each day such as walking, light bicycle riding, dancing, recreational sports, etc coupled with high intensity exercises like weight lifting and burst training at least 3 times per week for 20-30 minutes.
5. Juice Greens or Use Greens Powders: Juicing greens provides a tremendous amount of chlorophyll and phytonutrients that enhance the detoxification process. I also recommend using greens powders such as Alkalize and Detox greens.
6. Use an InfraRed Sauna: Fantastic way to boost your detoxification processes.
7. Use Essential Oils: Using an essential oil diffuser in your home and applying essential oils can be of great benefit for detoxification. My most used oils are peppermint, lavender and lemon oils.
8. Practice Oil Pulling: This is an outstanding way to remove microbial debris from the body on a regular basis. Practicing oil pulling is great for your immune system because it clears many of the major lymphatic glands in your neck area.
9. Improve Your Gut Motility: Improving the frequency and consistency of your bowel movements is a key detoxification step. Through the bowels a large amount of toxins are eliminated each day. Consuming an anti-inflammatory diet with good fiber sources such as chia seed and flax seed, leafy vegetables is important. Using bone broths, fermented foods and probiotics will improve bowel motility. I recommend at least taking probiotics daily every other month. There are so many anti-biotic in our foods, in gels that cover many door handles that it is crucial to get beneficial, supportive bacterial regularly.
9b. Utilize Chiropractic Care Regularly. Studies show that regular chiropractic adjustments help the movement of Cerebral Spinal Fluid (CSF) and blood circulation to the brain. Both blood and CSF are crucial for nourishing the brain and essential in detoxification the brain and nervous system. Not wonder so many people notice better memory, less headaches and overall increased sense of brain body connection after their regular chiropractic adjustment.
About the author:
Dr. Brian Bartholomew owns and operates Ithaca Family Chiropractic in Ithaca, Ny. His expertise is in pediatric care and structural corrective chiropractic care for all ages.
Dr. Bartholomew is available for outside speaking for businesses, churches, groups, athletic teams, rotaries, health food stores and anyone who wants to take charge of their health naturally!