Creamy Broccoli Soup04-Feb-2010
Creamy Broccoli Soup
2 tablespoons coconut oil
2 scallions, coarsely chopped
1 large red bell pepper
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 large head fresh broccoli, washed and chopped
1 tablespoon basil leaves, dried
2 cups chopped spinach, kale, turnip greens, collards or swiss chard
2 quarts vegetable or chicken broth (homemade or organic/free range)
1 can coconut milk
1 teaspoon sea salt
1 tablespoon curry powder
- In large soup pan, melt coconut oil. Add scallions, red pepper and garlic. Cover on medium heat for 3-4 minutes.
- Add chopped broccoli puree to soup pan. Cook covered over medium heat, stirring until broccoli turns bright green. Remove ¼ of cooked broccoli.
- Add basil and additional chopped greens suck as chopped spinach or mustard greens. Cook covered for 3-4 more minutes.
- Transfer vegetables, except the ¼ cup cooked broccoli into food processor, blender or vita mix. Add a little coconut milk and puree contents.
- Transfer puree, cooked whole broccoli into soup pot and add chicken broth, remaining coconut milk, salt and curry. Reheat gently and stir.