First, here’s a brief explanation of what a ketogenic, or keto, diet is.
A ketogenic diet is a high fat, adequate protein, low carb diet. In the medical field, this diet is used for epilepsy in children. In the diet field, this type of meal plan forces the body to burn fat rather than carbohydrates.
Here is a delicious recipe to go along with this diet!
- 16 oz. Cauliflower
- 6 oz. Cream Cheese, softened
- 1-2 tbsp. Rice Vinegar (unseasoned)
- 1 tbsp. Soy Sauce (or coconut aminos)
- 5 sheets Nori
- 1 6-inch Cucumber
- 1/2 medium Avocado
- 5 oz. Smoked Salmon (or any seafood)
1. Using a food processor, rice the cauliflower into rice-sized pieces by pulsing. Make sure not to over-processes the cauliflower and do in smaller batches to ensure you get a good consistency.
2. Slice the cucumber on each end, then place the cucumber upright and slice off each side. You want to discard the middle and slice about 2 side pieces into small strips. Set aside in the fridge.
3. In a very hot pan, add cauliflower rice and cook. Season with soy sauce as the cooking process happens, about 1 tbsp.
4. Once the cauliflower is finished up and dried out some, add to a bowl with cream cheese and rice vinegar (1-2 tbsp. depending on how seasoned you want it to taste). Mix together well and set in the fridge until cool.
5. Once the rice mixture is cooled, slice 1/2 an avocado into small strips and scoop out of the shell.
6. Put a nori sheet down on a bamboo roller covered with saran wrap (this helps with sticking). Spread some of the cauliflower rice mixture over the nori sheet, leaving about 3/4 inches of space at the top. Make sure this is quite a thin layer.
7. Place all of the filling items into the sushi roll, layering whichever flavors you want.
8. Roll sushi tightly using bamboo. You can see many videos on YouTube on how to do this if you aren’t sure.
9. Serve and enjoy! Feel free to pair with pickled ginger, wasabi, or a spicy mayo you make yourself if you want to up the fat content in this.
About the author:
Dr. Brian Bartholomew owns and operates Ithaca Family Chiropractic in Ithaca, Ny. His expertise is in pediatric care and structural corrective chiropractic care for all ages.
Dr. Bartholomew is available for outside speaking for businesses, churches, groups, athletic teams, rotaries, health food stores and anyone who wants to take charge of their health naturally!